Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
So the wife just gave me my Fathers Day gift early. I am leaving it boxed up waiting for WWDC just in case. Anyway, I have my Mac Mini backed up. Is it possible to restore the Retina MBP from the Mini backup but only select certain files and apps? I don't want anything carried over because this is just for traveling/work.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Yes, you can use Migration Assistant to connect to the Time Machine backup and restore user files, settings, etc to the new rMBP.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So the wife just gave me my Fathers Day gift early. I am leaving it boxed up waiting for WWDC just in case. Anyway, I have my Mac Mini backed up. Is it possible to restore the Retina MBP from the Mini backup but only select certain files and apps? I don't want anything carried over because this is just for traveling/work.

Partly. You don't want to restore, you want to run Migration Assistant as part of the new machine setup. The problem is you can select to migrate apps, documents... etc. But there is no granularity within those areas. For example "apps" is just a yes/no toggle, so it is all or none. Same with Documents. You can see some screenshots of the selection screens in the middle of this page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.