Time Machine Running Away?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smartalic34, Apr 17, 2008.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I think something is wrong, somewhere, with time machine. Time machine ran as usual, and 5 minutes later, I took my laptop from my dorm room to the library. I surfed the web a bit and wrote a lab report. The lab report (.pages) was the only newly created or modified file. I got back to my dorm and plugged in my external.

I ran the TM backup manually just to backup my newly minted lab report. Time machine then proceeded to backup 1 GB of data before I stopped it. Why would it do that? What on earth is it backing up that was modified? My lab report surely takes up 248kb according to Finder... what gives?

2. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Is it possible that a large file or folder got renamed or moved? Whenever something is renamed Time Machine treats it as if it were a brand new file/folder, which is obviously not ideal. It's pretty easy to rename a folder or something without thinking about it, and then BAM! TM wants to back it all up again.

I recently wrote a little command-line script to show the differences between two Time Machine backups, but alas, somebody already beat me to turning it into a gui app. :eek: Try http://www.charlessoft.com/TimeTracker.zip (I found it here). If you let the backup proceed, then use that app to see what actually got backed up.