Time Machine runs so slow-fixes don't seem to work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbeucher, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jbeucher macrumors newbie

Hello:
    This past week, I just got a LaCie d2 1TB external drive to replace my 250GB LaCie external drive for my Time Machine backup (the 250 GB worked flawlessly and fast, I just need more storage) for my Macbook 2.2 with 1GB Ram.

Issue is that I hooked up the new 1TB via FW400 and Time Machine was slow, about 350 MB (not GB) per hour when left overnight. I tried the USB 2 for Time Machine and got a pretty similar transfer rate.

Then I copied my iPhoto Library directly to the new 1 TB drive and it flew; <45 minutes for the 65 GB file.

I also tested direct file transfer with both external drives hooked up (250GB via USB 2 and 1TB via FW400), transfers both ways were fast.

Did some searches here; I did what was recommended in various posts:

deleted /com.apple.timemachine.plist (multiple times)
    reformatted HD to MacOS Extended (journaled) (multiple times)
    renamed hd to one word name (multiple times)
    don't have virus installed or on
    excluded both the external drives from spotlight
    excluded all drives from spotlight
    rebooted multiple times.

Anyway, still no luck in that the transfer is slow...I estimated 19 days to Time Machine back up the 170GB from the MacBook and external drive.

Any thoughts on how to get the transfer speed back up? Or anyone see anything I am missing?

Thanks

2. jbeucher thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Machine bandwidth issue seems to have fixed itself

It finished this morning; I didn't make any changes, just all the sudden the transfer rate was what it should be.

Thanks