Time Machine Scheduler

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .fred, Dec 31, 2007.

1. .fred macrumors regular

Time Machine Scheduler

Has anyone done this yet? Is it the one or is there another one which is better?

I've also heard of changing the number from '3600; to whatever number i want.

Which is the best option? Thanks.

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Please be advised that Time Machine Scheduler is a scheduler that takes over the Preference Pane's scheduler. Meaning you cannot use the Preference Pane in System Preferences to control Time Machine, but rather must use TMS to do it.

I don't like that solution, when there's a perfectly reasonable solution in the command line (as you say):

Code:
    sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int 3600
    This is the default value (of 1 hour), and so 3600 should be replaced with whatever # in seconds you want. Hint: Google "# seconds to hours" for a nice conversion. :)

3. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, i read their known issues and had queries, thus i haven't installed it.

I think ill change the 3600 seconds ;)

EDIT: Sorry, but how i can i access that command line? Do i open it with textEdit?

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

You can paste that into Terminal.app (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app), or edit the file directly following this Mac OS X Hint.

I recommend Terminal.app as it's straightforward, but your mileage may vary. Also it may require a restart of Time Machine (or your computer) to take effect.

5. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Hey.

Ive tried to edit it in LaunchDaemons, but it tells me I do not have enough priviledges :confused:

So what should i paste in Terminal to change it?

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yeah, that's why I said Terminal was a straightforward solution. ;)

The alternative is to save the file to your desktop, and then move it back into the folder. You'll have to click Authenticate and then type in your username and password.

In Terminal, it will make the change, and prompt you for your password all at the same time.

7. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Hey man i tried to use terminla, it prompted me for my password, then later an new lin came out, as if for a new command.

Can i take it that its done? When i check inside LaunchDaemos, its still 3600:confused:

8. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Somebody Please help.

Somehow, I'm able to change it in BBEdit :confused:

Ive moved it out to my desktop, set it back to 3600 again.

Could someone please help me out: Why, when ive changed it with Terminal, it still shows as 3600??

9. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yes. Correct. Hurray. Great.

If you copied and pasted that line directly, then it will have done nothing different -- you'll need to change 3600 at the end of the line to be whatever # in seconds you desire.

10. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I changed it to 42300, just the last part. It prompts me for my password, i enter it, and a new line comes out. Do i have to restart my computer for changes to take effect or anything?

Thanks.

EDIT: please help me out, someone. Now my Time Machine is not backing up properly! Help please!