Time Machine Selective Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pianodude123, Feb 2, 2008.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hi, I am sorry if this has already been asked, however I've searched, and cannot find an answer.

Is it possible to make time machine backup only one folder on my hard drive? I know there is a way to simply exlude certain folders... but there is no way to only "include" one or two folders.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

maybe we should submit this as a feature request then?

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, in the Exclude Folder window click the + sign to add and choose your home directory then CMD+A to select all files and folders. Then hold CMD down and click on the single folder you want to include in the backup.

Voila, now by excluding every other folder and file you are only backing up one folder.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats only excluding the home folder. also add the system folder (and click yes to exclude all system files), developer folder (if you youve installed XCode) and any other user accounts in the users folder other than yours (if you have any).

however this will mean you cant recover your hard disk from a Time Machine backup. you will need to reinstall and then drag the files you backed up from the backups.backupdb folder.

6. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Okay, i guess this will for in the interim. We should make a petition to apple to include that in one of the coming updates to leopard - probably 10.5.4

7. Jason S. macrumors 6502a