Time Machine Selective Backup

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Hi, I am sorry if this has already been asked, however I've searched, and cannot find an answer.

Is it possible to make time machine backup only one folder on my hard drive? I know there is a way to simply exlude certain folders... but there is no way to only "include" one or two folders.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Hi, I am sorry if this has already been asked, however I've searched, and cannot find an answer.

Is it possible to make time machine backup only one folder on my hard drive? I know there is a way to simply exlude certain folders... but there is no way to only "include" one or two folders.
Yes, in the Exclude Folder window click the + sign to add and choose your home directory then CMD+A to select all files and folders. Then hold CMD down and click on the single folder you want to include in the backup.

Voila, now by excluding every other folder and file you are only backing up one folder.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Yes, in the Exclude Folder window click the + sign to add and choose your home directory then CMD+A to select all files and folders. Then hold CMD down and click on the single folder you want to include in the backup.

Voila, now by excluding every other folder and file you are only backing up one folder.
thats only excluding the home folder. also add the system folder (and click yes to exclude all system files), developer folder (if you youve installed XCode) and any other user accounts in the users folder other than yours (if you have any).

however this will mean you cant recover your hard disk from a Time Machine backup. you will need to reinstall and then drag the files you backed up from the backups.backupdb folder.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Okay, i guess this will for in the interim. We should make a petition to apple to include that in one of the coming updates to leopard - probably 10.5.4