Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Podgy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Tokyo surprisingly
Hello all,

Since doing an archive and install of Leotard I've had LOTS of beachballs

with various apps, mostly with Safari.

Since 10.5.2 seems imminent my question is this...

I have my whole HD backed up with Time Machine on a 500GB HD.

What I'd like to do is erase the iMac and freshly install Leopard.

Rather than bring back the whole backup, I'd like to select photos/video/iTunes etc. then manually re-install 3rd party apps.

library etc and restore them into the fresh OS install.

Is it possible and can anyone share their experiences on doing this?

Many many thanks in advance,

Podgy

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
I'm also wondering what's the best way of doing a fresh install of leopard while using my time machine drive to migrate my stuff.

dadejack

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Arkanasas
I have just reloaded my MBPro and went to use my Time machine backup. It did not find it. Now when I search the Ext HD, I see no sign of the backup file.

My warning is be very careful. Luckily I'm paranoid and had the data somewhere else.

Good luck

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
Okay, go ahead and do the clean install. Then get it all setup. Don't do the migration or anything. Just do a clean setup. Once you are all setup, connect your time machine drive. DO NOT let OSX use it as a time machine backup, yet. It will give you that pop up, but say no. Now just open finder and go to the external drive. Now its just a matter of finding the files you want and dragging them to your Mac's hard drive. I've already done this rather than try to back everything up.

A little more directions for navigating the time machine back up, just in case you haven't done it. Once you open your drive in finder, open Backups.backupdb, then open the folder that has the name of your backed up computer. Then you can just find the latest back up date and drag your files from there. If you just left Time Machine on its default settings you've got an exact copy of the hard drive you just restored. Works like a charm! PM me if you have questions or are unclear about how to do this!

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
Apps are a little tricky because some need the library files, such as iWork, but for everything I've done its fine. Media never had any trouble with.

Podgy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Tokyo surprisingly
Gotchya....Will proceed with caution on apps but its just the pics/vid/music I want back in there with a shiny Leotard install ready for 10.5.2!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.