Time Machine - Set Backup Time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JimmyDThing, Jan 9, 2008.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I have set my Time Machine to backup only once a day as it is unnecessary for me to do them hourly. But is there a way to set the TIME that it does the backup?

I figured I'd have it do the backup overnight... I have a MacBook so it sleeps most of the time... but I could set it to wake up at like midnight and go back to sleep a half hour later and have the backup go at 12:05 or something.

Anyone have any tips? Thanks!

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Tip 1 -- are you really sure you need to do this? Many people are under the mistaken impression that changing the backup frequency in Time Machine will save space. That's not really how it works, though. Your situation would have to be sort of unusual for your idea to actually make much of a difference in performance or space. It's most likely that you won't see any benefit from doing so. More details are in this thread.

Tip 2 -- Yes, it is possible. Here's how.

3. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I found this, haven't tried myself but seems to have good possibilities :apple:

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Looks good, I'm going to try it to get round some of the flaws in Time Machine.

5. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry... I must not be understood. I have already set the interval to what I want it to be... but how do I set the TIME that it performs the backup?

I have it set to perform a backup once a day... I want to make sure it PERFORMS the update overnight instead of 24 hours since the last update. If I do a manual update, will it do it 24 hours from then? I'm not quite sure.

Also... yes, I know that it won't save me space... but there's simply no reason for me to have backups every hour. My external drive is hooked up to my AEBS so it's a lot of network activity... either way, I only want it done once a day... but I want it to do it at a SET TIME... IE.) 12:05 AM every morning.