Time Machine Setup - Is this right?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigdaddymac, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I've had a heck of a time setting up time machine. I don't know anyone else who uses it and am looking to the board for a little help.

I'm wirelessly backing up my macbook, with an AEBS and external usb drive. My initial backup was done wirelessly (to setup the files on the external) then with the macbook directly wired to the external to finish it. I see the sparsebundle image when looking directly at the external drive's contents. However, when I click "Show Package Contents" on the sparsebundle file, I get a folder with a few items in it, chiefly one titled "bands". I suppose my macbook's contents are backed up in here somewhere.

Only when I have Time Machine up and running, does a white disk image appear on my desktop, entitled "Backup of xx's MacBook". Inside, is the "Backups.backupdb" file, and inside that are some backup folders that I can access. There are multiple folders showing my individual backup times/dates (though I've noticed that all of the "Date Modifieds" for my hard drive are the same date as my original backup, which concerns me).

Two questions about the above. First, does this setup sound right? Two, if God forbid I lost my laptop tomorrow, would I be able to access the Time Machine files off my external drive with a new laptop and reload all of my files onto it?

Sorry if the above is confusing. Many thanks for everyone's help, as always.

2. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

3. thankins macrumors 6502

Question 1: That is correct - when TM runs it will show up on your desktop for the time it is running. The layout is correct. There is a image and once you mount that you will see the folders

Questions 2: Yes you can. I recently got a new macbook pro and had to access the old data in the time machine file. I mounted the image and went in manually and got the files :)

Hope that helps