Time machine setup (not seeing usb HD)?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maximus06, Jan 10, 2008.

1. maximus06 macrumors regular

I was trying for the first time to set-up time machine, but the list of drives to choose from didn't show my connected usb HD.

I can access it via finder just fine...what the hell? I even formated it to mac-osx journaled format...still doesn't see it.

Help?!

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Try different usb port on the Mac or check Disk Utility .....

3. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Uhm I did try different USB ports. It is connected because I can access it via finder, it shows up on desktop as well, and in disk utility as well. Did "verify disk" and disk utility said its okay. I don't think the HD is the problem here. I plugged in a flash drive, and time machine didn't see that either.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

How large is the drive relative to what your backing up?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what format is the external hard drive? click on it in the finder and press "command-I" and look beside "Format:".

6. neilspartacus macrumors member

no flash drives supported

hmm even i observed that the flash drives are not detected by timemachine. Its may also be that time machine has some baseline size set to detect HDs. if the HD is small capacity like the flash drive may be it wont detect it!

I am not sure, it was a guess...

7. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Its a very old HD....9.5GB - however I've had it detect one of my flash drives before, though when I selected it it said it was too small...this could have been before the 10.5.1 update though. Damn.