time machine - size of backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superspud, Jan 8, 2008.

1. superspud macrumors regular

I want to set up time machine but i do not have TONS of space on my external. I keep just the apps and files i use, listen to or watch often on my computer, everything else is on my external. I want to set up time machine but as i said, my space is limited.

when time machine backs everything up, does it take up the same amount of space as the origional documents?

for example, if i have 40 gigs of stuff on my macbook that i want time machine to backup on my external, will it require 40 gigs of space? or is it just a compressed version of everything?

edit, i think i put this in the wrong section, please move if needed.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Time Machine backups will take up as much spaces as it has access to, so if you have a 250gb external, eventually it will fill all 250gb.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Your 40 gigs of stuff on your MB will take up 40 gigs (give or take a few megs) on the external. It then adds from there.

You can always choose to exclude a bunch of stuff. If you only want Time Machine to back up your documents, you can exclude all the apps, system folder, etc.

4. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

oh wow ok. so its probably best to dedicate a seperate HD just for time machine? i hage two, a 320 and a 120... i have my stuff spread all over both HD's at the time being, pix on one and video/music on the other, most of which is NOT on my macbook. as mentioned, the only thing i have on my computer are applications and photos for iphoto with just a few songs i listen to, everything else is on my hard drives...

i guess maybe i dont need to use time machine....

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You have no choice in the matter, Time Machine needs its own dedicated partition. You cannot put a time machine backup on a partition that already contains files. (Well, you can, but it will erase the partition first)

6. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

oh wow, i had no idea it was like that... looks like its time to head to fry's to pick up another HD...

7. kashmoney2006 macrumors regular

Not true. I have time machine backing up to a drive with other files on it. but i also have unsupported volumes enabled. although, i have not used time machine any other way so it may be that you must enable this option to do this.

8. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Time Machine will backup whatever files you choose. It will take up as much space as those files require. Whenever a change is made, Time Machine saves that file again (So you might want to exclude big files like your iPhoto 08 Library.)

9. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

This may be a dumb long winded question, but here goes...
    I've always backed up all of my MP3's and Pictures on my external harddrive.
    With time machine, do I no longer have to do that? If somehow my comp gets formatted, will time machine bring back ALL of my mp3's and pictures (along with all my other settings/programs)?
    Or do I still have to keep all of my mp3's and pictures stored separately from time machine?

10. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Time Machine backs up all of your files unless you tell it not to. So yes, it should back up your music in any regular circumstance.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Not true - Time Machine needs Mac OS Extended partition to work and if you select a FAT32 one it will need to erase it first. However, if the partition is already Mac OS Extended then it will quite happily co-exist with other files that are on there