Time Machine SLOW in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by douglas, Aug 21, 2013.

1. douglas macrumors member

My Time Machine backups have become REALLY SLOW. The hourly backups work eventually, but Time Machine stalls at each step. I'm running OS 10.6.8 on a 2009 iMac. I've checked the forums but can't find a solution to my particular issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I would verify your hard drive. Boot to another volume, such as the installer DVD, launch Disk Utility and Repair the DISK. (NB: Repair Disk, not Permissions. Permissions does nothing.)

Also, open the Console app in Utilities folder and see what messages are being left when Time Machine backs up. Anything relevant there?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As benwiggy posted, its more likely your hard drive, and not Time Machine. While no speed demon, TM is pretty quick for hourly backups.

4. douglas, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

douglas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I repaired both my internal HD and my external Time Machine HD, but there is no improvement. I did the repairs in Disk Utility, but without booting to another volume first - do I need to boot from the Installer CD to do this successfully?

There are messages coming in to the Console Ap every few - nothing specific to Time Machine (not sure if it's normal to have a constant stream of messages).

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

No you didn't! :p
    You can't Repair the same volume that you are running the system from. The button is greyed out.
    You need to do it from another volume.

Just to make sure: Repair DISK is on the right hand side. Repair PERMISSIONS is on the left. That can be run on the system disk, but it is pointless for most problems.