Time Machine Solution for Notebook Users!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nuclearwinter, Oct 27, 2007.

1. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I'm not sure if this is particularly clever or not, but I haven't read about anyone else doing this type of Time Machine + backup configuration. I thought I'd let everyone else know what I'm doing in case they were wondering if it were possible.

Problem:
    1. I accidentally delete files daily.

2. I use a 17" MacBook Pro and refuse to carry an external drive to work with me just to get files back after I delete them.

3. My current drive capacity is only 100GB and its nearly full.

Solution:
    1. Bought a Hitachi Travelstar 2.5" 200GB 7200RPM 16MB cache drive and installed into my notebook

2. Created two partitions
    -- 126GB -> Leopard, Applications, Data
    -- 60GB -> Time Machine!

3. Use my Lacie Triple Interface 320GB for Super Duper clones (partitioned in half)
    -- Nightly clone via Smart update on the first partition
    -- Weekly clone via Erase and Backup on the second partition

This works fabulously. I can get immediate results from Time Machine. The internal drive is fast enough and large enough to handle Time Machine. When I get home, Super Duper handles the cloning automatically (and the clones are bootable!). I decided that since I bought Super Duper for Tiger, I didn't want that purchase to go to waste with Leopard. This worked out great for what I need it to do.

Anyone else have a better idea for notebook owners who want Time Machine on the road? I'm all ears!

2. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I suppose this would be a solution if you don't need a lot of space on the road. I know I personally wouldn't have enough to do this.

What about emptying your trash less frequently? Perhaps then you'd be able to restore files if you accidentally deleted them earlier in the day?

3. nuclearwinter thread starter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Admittedly, the whole dilemma could be solved with a bit of behavioral modification. However, as a preventative measure that automatically keeps my bad habits in check, this works wonders.

I think most notebook users are probably just fine with an external drive backup solution.

I guess part of the idea was to see how Time Machine performs on an internal drive. I must say that it does not noticeably degrade OS performance at all, even though both the OS and Time Machine use the same drive.

4. benj07 macrumors member

Just get out of the habit of emptying the trash every time you put something in it. I'm amazed how many people get into this habit.

Empty your trash every week. Watch your file recovery percentage skyrocket.

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

that is a neat idea.
    I myself used to be a "instant trash emptier":)
    but I changed that over time and now I use the restore function out of the trash bin more frequently.

6. nuclearwinter thread starter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Good comments but...

its important to note that Time Machine is not necessarily the best backup solution in all cases. It's not bootable. If the main drive fails, it can't restore the data without the Leopard disc. It's not a cloned copy of the existing HD, so the whole "browsing your TM disk" is slightly different than navigating your normal folder structure. None of these are deal breakers for me... I just found that using two very different types of backup (insurance) and using each to their strengths, I was able to find a solution that works from all the angles, not just one.

By the way, I love it when I can go back to re-get that DMG I downloaded from Macupdate instead of being required to go out to the internet to re-download it. Especially when I don't have internet access at the time. Fantastic. It's really the little things that count, ya know?