Time Machine .sparsebundle Gone on Synology 212j NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ebd.i.am, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ebd.i.am, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

ebd.i.am macrumors 6502

ebd.i.am

I encountered something interesting today with Time Machine. I'm using a Synology 212j NAS that Time Machine backups to for 3 Macs; a iMac, MBP, and a MBA.

Today the MBP began to backup like usual but instead of backing up a few hundred MBs it began to backup the ENTIRE hard drive of about 52GB of data.

I checked the backup folder on the NAS and the .sparsebundle for the MBP was gone! I ran DaisyDisk on the folder location and it only found the two .sparsebundles for the iMac and MBA.

What's the deal? This kinda defeats the purpose of backing up, I never know when the .sparsebundles will disappear.

Update: the iMac and MBA both performed backups just fine, about 300MBs each. I checked the NAS capacity and theres 85% of free space so space isn't a issue.

2. sinoue macrumors newbie

sinoue

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You're a better man than I am if you can get TM to wirelessly back up multiple machines to a NAS without the crapshoot that the .sparsebundles will corrupt or disappear. I finally gave up and just bought WD MyBooks for each computer, as a backup that occasionally trashes itself and it's history IMHO is more frustrating than not backing up at all.

4. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

ebd.i.am

I'll give that a try but I did not receive a error when Time Machine began to backup. TM just started a new backup without any message at all.

----------

The iMac backups over Cat6 and the laptops (MBA, MBP) backup over WiFi. Everything has been working fine for many months up until then.

The only thing I did different with the MBP was install a SSD and then I used a Time Machine backup to restore the computer. The MBP performed backups fine for a few weeks but now every time the MBP tries to backup it will backup the entire drive.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I back up to a 500 GB Time Capsule with an external USB drive so if the TC dies (again), I don't have to send my data to Apple and get a blank drive back (again).

I have had problems with TM backup to TC over wifi, especially anything slower than 802.11n. I don't recommend doing TM backups over a slow link. They just don't work well. Also if you have a Finder window open on the "root" of the volume where you are doing TM backups, close it. Also put the TM volume on your spotlight excludes list. All of these will increase the speed and reliability of your TM backups. BTW, I have found that while TM can't tolerate a slow link, Crashplan does just fine so if you have any machines backing up via wifi, make sure you add Crashplan to your backup strategy.

Lastly, I recommend using something alongside TM for backup. I use CCC and Crashplan but the bottom line is use more than one backup method. You don't want to find out you have a corrupted sparsebundle AFTER your primary HDD crashes!

6. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Definitely. Upon restore to even the same disk, the disk UUID, the partition UUID, and the volume UUID are all different. As far as backupd is concerned, it's a new volume and gets a new fresh full backup from the start.

7. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

ebd.i.am

I see. Well the first time it performed a full backup (after the SSD install) I let it do its thing and re-backup the entire drive.

But now every time TM runs it performs the same backup of the entire drive.

8. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Go to Preferences > TM and set the drive to None. Find TM preferences and trash them (a bit of voodoo, but easy to do).
    /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

On the NAS, delete the sparsebundle.

On the Mac, renamed Time Machine, and choose the NAS. Let it backup fully again and then see if you're getting a different result.

In the meantime you could also post your system.log section for the latest full backup that should have been incremental and see if that's revealing.