Time Machine, stopping between 10-15 GB on initial backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bushfrog, Jan 20, 2008.

1. bushfrog macrumors member

I have been trying to do the initial backup to my western digital hd with time time machine with no success, i have reformatted my drive, and partitioned in like the apple website says to do in GUID ... with no luck... i have also excluded the leopard backup volume from spotlight and tried numerous other things ..
    Looked in the system log just now and it appears when i get the problem there is the following log

20/01/2008 22:44:21 kernel USBF: 2572.643 AppleUSBEHCI[0x553c000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0xfa, timing out! (Addr: 6, EP: 1)

it says this multiple times , and im wondering if anyone knows what could be causing it

2. bushfrog thread starter macrumors member

just to add

Time machine has done the initial backup in the past successfully however it used get stuck on 'preparing' when doing the routine backups hence i reformatted drive etc ... its very frustrating !!!

3. Maynerd macrumors regular

If it makes you feel any better, I can't get time machine to work with my External Seagate Freeagent 320GB hard drive. I spent hours yesterday trying to get it to work. I have no idea what the deal is. What is this spotlight thing you did? I would like to try that.

4. grubber macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem with my FreeAgent Pro 500 GB. I plug my drive in so I can do a TimeMachine backup and it hangs... pulling down a lot of the OS until I just plain unplug the thing, and then Finder and the rest of the OS suddenly completes all the windows moves and alt-tabs and other things I tried to do.... its very frustrating.

5. scruch macrumors member

scruch

same problem, on a WD 1tb..

AppleUSBEHCI[0x69fc000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0xfa, timing out!

after 5 month of succesfull backups.. 2 day's ago it started to fail... i have checked twice with diskwarrior the usbHD, and Macintosh HD, no problem found..

i have erased the backup , and started a new from scratch .. but now:

AppleUSBEHCI[0x69fc000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0xfa, timing out!

PS: macbook pro 2.2ghz 4gb ram, osx 10.5.5

6. scruch macrumors member

scruch

hi friends, i have fixed the problem! it was the USB-cable.

So check twice usb-hub, and usb cables, because also if they work very fine, when you use TM they can have problem if they are not perfect.
    My usb cable was very good quality , but after 5 months... TM have started with the famous error. After cheking all software and disk .. the problem was identified in the cable!!!

now all work fine.. finaly =)

for italian users: http://www.macitynet.it/forum/showthread.php?p=1196320#post1196320