Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grigoriso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Following an application install that apparently created multiple problems (it was Little Snitch), I have restored my 2010 MBP to an earlier, pre-L.S. state from a Time Machine backup and all appears to be running fine. However, when running TM now, the backup gets stuck on "Preparing Backup"; nothing appears to be happening at all (e.g., no files are being counted, etc.)

This is actually the first time I've had to perform a TM restore, so I don't know if this is a common problem or not… any thoughts?

ilandmac

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Remote island
Following an application install that apparently created multiple problems (it was Little Snitch), I have restored my 2010 MBP to an earlier, pre-L.S. state from a Time Machine backup and all appears to be running fine. However, when running TM now, the backup gets stuck on "Preparing Backup"; nothing appears to be happening at all (e.g., no files are being counted, etc.)

This is actually the first time I've had to perform a TM restore, so I don't know if this is a common problem or not… any thoughts?

How long have you been using T.M ?

the safest way is to back up your data via CCC to an external drive or thumdbrive and use disk utility to erase your T.M drive, select it as your T.M drive and in initiate a T.M backup.

Last edited:

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
I don't know about with Yosemite, but on all previous OS's after doing a Restore - Time Machine does a COMPLETE full new backup of the system. It thinks that everything is new, so this can take a while with the "Preparing Backup" while it works out what to backup. Also - if there is not enough space on the Ext HD - it will delete past backups to make space. This also comes under the "Preparing Backup" syndrome !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.