Time Machine success stories

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, Apr 30, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I've been building a large website for the last few weeks, but stupidly, instead of filing it away in my Documents folder, I just left it stashed on the desktop.

Well, I decided that my desktop was getting a bit cluttered (Filled with other unrelated crap). So, without thinking, I trashed it all. It wasn't until a few days later that I realized my project was gone :eek:

Time Machine to the rescue, I got it back :)

What's your Time Machine success (or fail...) story?

2. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Success:

I was able to switch mbps easily although the restore process is a bit long.

Failure:

my first time capsule died and apple had to replace it. Had all my music on it :(

3. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Restored my "magic resumé" from back up. I'm sure there will be several more life-savers to follow.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Successes:

I accidentally screwed up Finder ... restore fixed that.

Accidentally hit overwrote an assignment that hadn't been turned in ... easy fix.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Imported all of my iPhoto library into Aperture. Made sure all photos were there, then deleted my iPhoto library.

About 10 months later, I went looking for some videos I took on my camera and freaked out completely when I remembered that they were in my iPhoto library (and that Aperture didn't import them).

Used Time Machine to restore iPhoto library. Whew. :eek:

6. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Question.

If I binned something, and "secure emptied" my trash can, will TM still be able to spawn it back to life?

7. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Before Time Machine I never gave much thought to back-up. But now with such inexpensive little drives it's silly not too. I have a MBP that came two years ago with a HD around 120. I soon max'd it out - I only had 4 gigs left and I keep taking photos and adding music. I had a local non-Apple place put in a 320 harddrive. Came back to the apt and set up Time Machine and it worked perfectly. Then, about a week later, I noticed that a paid download of Airfoil wasn't on my harddrive. I went back to the TM and two seconds later it was back in place. By the way, I use a LaCie 500 rugged for the backup and its working great.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As long as TM had enough time to make a backup ...

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Trashed some songs and a couple of apps (which I somehow removed from both my iTunes and iPhone without realising).

Instead of paying again to get it back, it was back in my TM. Phew!

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I travelled back in time, collected a number of famous world leaders and philosophers, brought them back here, hilarity ensued, and then they helped me get an A+ on my history presentation. Excellent!

San Dimas High School football rules!

:D

12. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Success: I accidentally delete Office:Mac! Don't know how I did, alcohol was involved though. Must be my inner hate for Msoft coming out haha.

Easy fix with TM though!

No fails yet.

13. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Mine was a sucess story.

I was working on a Network proposal to upgrade my customers network which consists of one main site and 2 remote sites.

This two me 2 weeks to write because i had to make sure everything was covered, what routers, internet speeds etc.

Then like most people i left it on the desktop and i had a wild deleting spree and it got trashed. I turned my mac on the next morning i went to get the document as it was needed that day at work and it was missing. My heart jumped into my throat and i launched time machine. Found, located, printed done!

Time machine is money worth spent.

14. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I did something similar, but I had a bunch of different passwords on a RTF/Text file on my desktop, did a clean up, trash and deleted (just like you) and the a few days days my heart was jumping chest when I remembered what I did....
    When I got home, I was so relieved to find I could recall it...
    Truly a real stress buster...