Time Machine sucks!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gngan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I'm trying to store my music from TM and it doesn't allow me to. Music, picture, some other folder seems to be locked. It says i do not have the permission. I am in the admin a/c! Why can't just Apple let us drag and drop the stuff we want to restore!!!

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Create a new account, give it admin rights, and log into that account. Does the problem still exist?

If so, run Disk Utility and verify permissions on your boot disk. Repair if needed.

...not the best way the get help from the MR crowd, or any large group of Mac users for that matter. Just a tip for the future. :cool:

3. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

I tried log into another a/c with admin rights and it works. Thanks
    But when I log back into the original admin a/c then the Music folder is locked again. I tried vertify permissions and repair on both a/c but it's still not working on the original a/c. Any idea?

One more thing. What's the different between dragging item from TM hard-disk and Restore from Inside TM?

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Is the Music folder the only folder that you are having this problem with? If so, open a new Finder window, locate and right-click on the Music folder and select Get Info. At the bottom of the Info window, check the Sharing & Permissions settings. Make sure your account is given at least Read privileges.

Other than the ease of use that Time Machine provides, I don't know if there is any difference.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Are you trying to manually move the folder off your TM partition to your main drive? If so, I don't think you can do that...you may need to use the Time Machine app.

6. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

A really cool effect that makes you think you're traveling at light speed in the Millennium Falcon!

7. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

No. I'm having problem with other folder as well but it's just that i need to get the files in Music folder. I tried the Get Info and permission setting but it's not working. The music folder has this 'stop sign' at the corner of the icon.

I manage to pull out the Music folder by creating another a/c with admin right then put the music folder in Share Folder then log in to the original admin a/c and navigate to the Share Folder and copy it.

But whenever i'm in the original admin a/c and go into TM... all the files has this Stop Sign on it. Any idea?

This works. I could drag and drop the folders from the TM partition to my MacBook's hard-drive.

LOL

8. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I dunno if this is the same issue, but I had problems accessing some backed up files, and I used the free program Batchmod and that fixed it right up. You might want to try it.

9. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Tried Batchmod and it's not working.

Anyone knows why the original admin account can't open folders in TM while creating another admin a/c can open the same folders?

10. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm still a little unsure of this - are you trying to access the data from WITHIN Time Machine or by accessing the external drive directly via Finder?

I guess if all else fails, you can extract any important data from the external drive from within the second admin account, then log into your primary admin account and make a fresh Time Machine backup from scratch.

11. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

I've tried BOTH ways. I tried accessing the data within TM and it shows a "stop sign". When i double click it, it says I do not have permission to the content. I've tried accessing the external drive via Finder and it also show the "stop sign".

I can extract data WITHIN TM and via Finder in the second admin a/c. You are right, i can just back up everything via second admin a/c and format my TM but i felt that there must be something wrong with it. I have two TM hard-drive and it's the same.

12. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It must be a setting issue. I am able to recover my entire iTunes library through Time Machine and by mounting the .sparsebundle in the Finder. I haven't the slightest as to why the original admin account can't access the files, however.