Time Machine, SuperDuper, carbonCopy, partitions... Now I'm confused

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skydiver32, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Skydiver32 macrumors member

Just got a 500Gb Scorpio Blue to replace a 160gb hd on my 13" MBP.
    I originally though it to be a very straight forward procedure, ie. use Time Machine to back up the current drive, replace it with a new one and off I go. However, reading about it is making it seem alot more convoluted than I had anticipated.

I see some people using SuperDuper or CarbonCopy to clone their HD. Can't I just use TM, if not, which is better?

So can some one direct me to a site or tell me how to go about this exchange process ( I looked at fixit.com - but may not have looked at the right spot, as it only showed me the steps of physically replacing the hardware and not the steps before it.)

I also need to install windows and plan on using parallels, any info on how to go about this transition would also be appreciated.

And Finally, how much space do you allocate for windows? I'm only using for the occasional program that doesn't run on Mac, nothing very significant now.

I also got a external enclosure to try out the new HD due to the 1.7 revision.
    Has there been any updates on this fiasco, or is it still a throw of the dice to see if your HD is going to work

Thanks
    (Sorry about the long and full post)

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Yes, you can use Time Machine and you don't have to use CCC or SuperDuper

If you have a TM backup, you will install the new HD and boot from your DVD that came with your computer or a Leopard install disc

From there you can just restore your TM backup (after you format you new drive)

As far as using Windows and Parallels, if you are not going to use Boot Camp, you can just install through Parallels without a partition

If you are going to use Boot Camp, run the Boot Camp Assistant and follow the directions

The amount of space you allocate will vary based on what you want to use it for and how much data you have

I think I have mine set for 30 GB or so

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

superduper is far the best around as it does also "smart-update" this mirrors exactly your hdd, is bootable and does'nt waist place like timemachine !

timemachine is funny for "visual effects" (when you open the backup), thats all and for me forgetable.

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

They actually do different things

I use TM and Carbon Copy Cloner

Clone = bootable and up to date

TM = incremental and allows you to go back to another state or find a file deleted long ago

Personally, I keep both on the external drive for different purposes

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I use CCC to make images of known-good setups. Life is bad if you foobar your machine or your drive takes a nose-dive and have to start from scratch. Starting from scratch stinks, especially when you have to deal with authorization issues for things like Adobe Creative Suite.

I like Time Machine for the document archiving. The every hour was a bit much for me, so I changed it to every six hours. Six hours of work gone stinks, but it is not the end of the world. The hourly backups were just too much.