Time Machine SuperDuper - incremental backups taking an exxcessive amount of time

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sputacus, Nov 27, 2013.

1. sputacus macrumors regular

I have Time Machine set the do one backup overnight on a late 2013 rMBP running Mavericks. It is taking about 2 hours to do an incremental backup. On my previous machine (early 2009 17" MBP), this would typically take 3-4 minutes. And incremental SuperDuper clones are taking 1-1/2 hour to complete when on my previous mac it would only take 6-10 minutes.

It appears that all or most of my data is are constantly changing on my new Macbook, in a way not seen on my previous unit, causing incremental backups of Time Machine and SuperDuper! to take an excessive amount of time.

Can anyone shed any light on this? What is going on?

Thanks in advance!

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I wouldn't worry about the time. I want to know how much data it's writing. That would be useful to know and both Time Machine and SuperDuper will tell you. Pass that on to us.

Otherwise I can only offer a few ideas--Maybe your destination drive is getting full. Maybe you shouldn't mess with Time Machine's settings. Maybe you should use Disk Utility to Repair your drive.