Time Machine / SuperDuper on the same drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hibbers, Aug 27, 2009.

1. hibbers macrumors newbie

I'm preparing for the SL upgrade and have been reading that I should do a SuperDuper backup just in case things go wrong... I currently use a 500 GB external hard drive for my time machine backups, and the drive is partitioned into 3 sections:

200 GB for Time Machine
    100 GB for Mac OS (movies, large files etc)
    The rest is FAT32 for backing up my husband's PC.

I've installed SuperDuper but I'm confused about where it will save the backup - does it need it's own partition (meaning I need to clear the 100 GB partition and/or reformat it), or can I save it to the existing 100 GB Mac partition alongside the files already there? I only have around 60 GB on my Macbook hard drive so there is enough free space for the SuperDuper backup on the 100 GB partition, I'm just worried it will overwrite stuff already on there or something...

thanks in advance!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I did this, but partitioned the drive. I figured that was sort of the "safest" route. So far, I've not had any issues doing it this way.

3. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I've got Time Machine, Carbon Copy, and some Mac OS files all on the same drive. I did a partition as well. Works great for me.

4. hibbers thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys - so does it need its own partition, or can I put it in the existing partition (not the time machine one)?

5. hibbers thread starter macrumors newbie

figured it out - you can store the backup alongside other files on the same partition, but only with the paid version. Hence my confusion :)

6. G.T. macrumors 6502a

What is the difference I thought Time Machine backed up ever film and application, (so I've been told)? except what's in the bin but I think you can change that. So why use programs like superduper?

7. hibbers thread starter macrumors newbie

8. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Well if something went horribly wrong, can I not just format drive install leopard and then use time machine? I don't mind if it takes a while.

9. hibbers thread starter macrumors newbie

yup I think that would be fine, it would just take quite a while.