Time Machine switching from Firewire to Wireless via Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kan-O-Z, May 29, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I have an external Firewire drive and time machine has completed a full backup.

1. Is it possible for me to connect my external drive to my Airport and have Time Machine just seamlessly continue using it wirelessly? I hope I wouldn't have to start over and make a full backup again.

2. I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. I know it works with Extreme, will it work with Express? I was thinking of the situation if I was on the go and took my Express and drive with me. It'd be nice if it could just switch it from one Airport to another.

Kan-O-Z

2. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I'm not absolutely sure on this but I think that a TM backup with a hardwire connection is different from a wireless backup. I think the wireless backup is contained in a Sparsebundle. A more experienced user could maybe clarify.
    Alan

3. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

Anybody have any ideas? I assume a lot of people must have gone through this as Time Machine only used to work with Firewire/USB and only recently has started working wirelessly via airport extreme. Any help would be appreciated.

Kan-O-Z

4. DanielBrian macrumors newbie

me too

I've just upgraded to Airport Extreme and plugged in my external drive. When I try to backup it doesn't seem to see my previous backups. Any ideas?

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The only way that I know of is going thru AE (Airport Extreme).. Once you've done the initial backup then it's 'do-able' thru wifi w/TM drive connected to usb port on AE ...

Last time I've checked that Airport Express doesn't support TM backup thru the lil device...

6. SCMaverick macrumors member

Did this issue ever get resolved? I have the same question as the original poster except I'm just using USB and not Firewire.

7. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

I'm opening this back up

Did we ever find a solution to this?

Initial backup via USB to computer. Plug the Harddrive into an Airport Extreme via USB. Sync over wifi? Is this seamless?

8. simsaladimbamba

Not yet as it seems.
    Time Machine FAQ

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you can connect the APE to your computer through ethernet for the initial sync, it'll be about the same speed as if you did USB. Then you could take it wirelessly because it will already be formatted as a network Time Machine sparsebundle.