Time machine taking wierd long backups...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ZebraineZ, May 15, 2009.

1. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Hi it is night here so just to be quick ( I will finish tomorrow ), time machine takes unexpected back ups and today in the afternoon it was taking a 6 gigabyte backup! WTF!

I had not downloaded anything or even had anything that was new to be 6 gigabyte, but I had deleted alot of useless programs from my computer which I saved about 4 gigabyte, but why would time machine backup a random 6gigs...then the backup for some reason didn't really finish and the last backup it stated was may 3rd which is wrong. Then a few minutes ago again I wanted to backup but then it took a whopping 9 gigs of whatever crap! OMG! That makes like 15-16gigs in total which is like 1/4 of my entire 'used' portion of the harddrive.

It seems that everytime I delete a program it just backs up white bytes or something and it even made my 420 gigs of free space all the way down to like 402 gigs....

Sorry about the crappy grammar etc etc, but this is freaky and is pissing me off and stupid time machine won't even let us see what it is god dam backing up....and why on earth did apple make restoring from a backup ONLY from your disk? My leopard disk is broken (the one that came with my computer) and my restore discs are tiger, because apple decided to make them seperate....is there a program to merge all my time machine backups and see what time machine backed up new and also restore from a time machine backup? Or am I asking for too much, might as well email apple.

2. RS232 macrumors regular

RS232

Have you got Parallels or VMware installed? If not excluded from TM backups it will eat up a lot of space!!! I discovered that in the last few weeks... I back up the 'virtual machine' folders on a separate hard disk.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Actually, you can kind of see what's being backed up. You just open up the Time Machine drive like any other hard drive, and you can browse through the folders.

4. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

just click on the date and you can look through all the files.

5. ZebraineZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to be rude, but USE YOUR NOGGGGIIINNN :)

I know time machine can tell you when you backed something up, but it is just like your computer, you can't make a list of just the things that are new.

Like maybe it can be like the 'Today' 'This week' 'Yesturday' thing where it shows you what you did and opened on what you choose. But time machine only gives a date on the side and if you click it, it doesn't go to what you backed up, it just goes to whatever folder you were at.

If i accidentaly deleted a preferences file back in system/log/var/jar/ar then how on earth would I be able to get it back if time machine won't take me? I am not a computer nerd to spend my time memorizing every folder I go to and every com.Bob.preference.telephony file I look at. Jesus sorry I am just p*ssed today.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Um...

It DOES show you what it backed up by date. It's just in the same format as your Hard Drive.

You get your files back by RUNNING TIME MACHINE. It's not designed to be manually manipulated.

7. ZebraineZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Again you don't get the point.

errr....look if I want to look for ALL the changed files that time machine backed up, I want to be able to do that. I don't freakin want to go to the system folder > enter time machine and still be at the system folder which is what you are inquiring.

I want to be able to download a program, back up, go into time machine and be able to see all the new things added to the backup including that program that I just downloaded. What DON'T you get from this? I want to be able to freakin know what 9.2gigs it is backing up.

8. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

this happened to me few times, but then when i wait few days, the machine just balance up i.e it will back up few gigs which results in reduction in disk space then few days after i see my volume increase again!

However i have to say losing 18 gigs in a day is a bit excessive

9. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

No need to get hostile with him, as he is one of the few trying to help. It's not just him either; I knew exactly what you were explaining but not what you wanted to do with that information.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Look bud....

What don't YOU get? Time Machine is NOT designed to be manually manipulated. If you don't like how it runs, back your stuff up BY HAND.

I'm out, get your answers/assistance elsewhere.