Time Machine tells me it needs more backup space than my Mac HD is even using

Discussion in 'macOS' started by straks, May 14, 2011.

1. straks macrumors newbie

Got a strange problem here...

On my Macbook Pro (6,1), i7 2,8Ghz, 8Gb ram, 500Gb HD i have Time Machine running to a network disk.
    OS X: 10.6.7

All works well for a while, but suddenly i get a warning from TM, saying that it needs 178Gb of backup space to do a backup, and it doesn't have that much available.

The funny thing is, my Macbook HD is only using 160Gb AND i have about 120Gb in the Excluded list.

Only way i have found to fix this, is disabling TM, cleaning the backup drive (removing all files), rebooting my macbook, enabling TM and do a complete new backup.

If i follow that procedure, it says (during backup): "Backing up ... of 37.38Gb", which is WAY more realistic (and actually about the size i would expect of a full new backup).

So my question is: What is the cause of this problem, and how can i fix it without doing a full clean backup?

I had to do this procedure three times in the last 2 months, btw

*i searched the forum, but couldn't really find a similar problem, sorry if i missed it*

2. MacmancUK macrumors member

Perhaps Time Machine needs twice the required space to backup before deleting ?

I seem to remember this problem in another scenario, not using TM