Time Machine + The Sims 3 = Error every hour = Tears

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by BaconMoustache, Jun 11, 2009.

1. BaconMoustache macrumors newbie

For anyone who is wondering why they are getting kicked out of The Sims 3 without an error message... Please check to see if your time machine automatic backup is on. If you are running time machine you will be kicked out of the Sims 3 every time you play as soon as the time machine starts to back up (or finishes I cant tell) . I have been dealing with the issue since I received the game and the nimrods at EA couldn't come close to figuring it out so I never even called them. Hopefully EA will patch or update the game to fix their complete ignorance of an application that ships on EVERY new mac (Which you almost would need a new one for the graphical requirements). Anyway, Please turn Time machine off before playing The Sims 3 and enjoy hours of non stop play time. If you do not have Time Machine running and you are logged out unexpectedly then I can help you and I'm sorry.:apple:

P.S. I turn Time Machine back on after I play just to be on the safe side.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Have you tried excluding the game or files that are created by it from the TM backups? I don't have the Sims so I can't test it.

3. gavriels macrumors newbie

The problem only happens if you have a Time Capsule and the Disk (not download) version of the game. It doesn't happen with regular Time Machine.

You should be able to avoid the issue if you have your system automount the Time Capsule drive on startup. For instructions on that, see the Apple Discussion Forums.

4. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Ahhhh, I'm subbing to this because my game keeps quitting. Not crashing or running slow but will just suddenly quit with no warning at a random point in the game.

I was just coming here to ask if anyone was having the same issue but since I have a TC and TM running, I'd bet this would be it. I've just turned off backups on TM and hopefully this will resolve the issue. If not, I'll be back to nag! :D

5. masterofbuckets macrumors regular

Its natural cos if you are running an anti virus program or some other background application that uses vital resources on Windows, it may interfere with games ( who need those resources).

Most pc gamers close background apps ( except maybe fps counters, temperature monitors ) due to this and we should adopt that philosophy too. Maybe then we can be considered 'hardcore' gamers :D