Time Machine, Time Capsule & A New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Michael73, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I have a 2011 MBP and just swapped the 500GB stock drive for a new 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive. Using Migration Assistant I mirrored the old stock drive to the new one.

The MBP uses Time Machine to back up to a 1TB Time Capsule. The TC has approximately 150GB of space left. When I prompted TM to do a back-up it must have detected the new drive and wanted to do a complete back up of the 350GB of everything on the drive. In trying to complete the back up, I got an error that said there isn't enough space on the TC to complete the operation and to select fewer items to back up.

Is there any way to TM to just continue making incremental back ups? Or, do it really need to do a complete back up for the new drive? If so, what should I do?

2. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

If you have a caddy, stick the old drive back in your MBP and the new one in the caddy then use Carbon Copy Clone to mirror the drive. The swap the drives.

Time Machine is seeing it as a new install, which is why it wants to do a full backup. I had the same issue when I had my MBP replaced by Apple - I used the migration assistant to restore from the TM backup and once finished, it wanted to do a full, new backup.