Time Machine / Time Capsule takes forever...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjprusk, May 21, 2009.

1. jjprusk macrumors member

I recently upgraded my hard disc to an Intel SSD, which is working great. However, it wouldn't continue the current backup scheme because the UUID of the disc was different. So, I deleted the bundle from the Time Capsule and started a backup. It is making progress, but is taking forever on backing up 37GB of data. The problem is that my system, being the portable that it is, goes out of my house almost every day and at this rate the initial backup will never get done. I remember it taking a long time to do my first backup on my original disc, but not this long. Has anyone else run into this and/or seen a way to improve the speed?

2. macgrl macrumors 65816

Have you tried using an ethernet cable or are you backing up wirelessly?:)

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Recently i switched from an iMac to a MBP and after migrating all my info had to create a new backup for my MBP I had roughly about 84gb of data and it I left it running overnight the next morning when i got up it was done with the initial backup. So you may have a problem. are you running it wirelessly or do you have an ethernet cable plugged from your computer to the TC?

4. macgrl macrumors 65816

How long is it taking you? I have had to leave my mac running overnight in the past to do an initial back up.:)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First one is always the slowest and as the other poster mentioned, I also leave it on overnight for that first backup

6. jjprusk thread starter macrumors member

RE: Time Machine / Time Capsule takes forever...

I have left it overnight with both wireless and ethernet. Out of 38GB it might get to 1GB in the course of 24 hours. The problem is that this system travels with me and I don't leave it home for periods anywhere long enough to backup, given the time it appears to be requiring.

I noticed a few of these in the log:

"Waiting for index to be ready (905>0)

Other than that, it appears to be working without error, but extremely slow. I've deleted the bundle on the TC to start over, but that doesn't seem to help either. Is there any other "tricks"?

7. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Does connecting through both ethernet and wireless make it any faster?

8. jjprusk thread starter macrumors member

Work-around for Time Capsule taking forever...

Per many suggestions, I tried everything including connecting via Ethernet, rebooting the TC, deleting all of my old bundles, etc. Nothing seemed to work and in a 24 hour period it would manage to backup around 1GB out of 47GB total. At this rate, I would never get a backup because my macbook travels with me almost everyday.

So... finally I took someone's advise and downgraded from 7.4.1 to 7.3.2 and voila - the entire backup completed in about 2 hours! What on Earth did they do to this version to mess it up so badly? I assume there are lots of people who are successfully using 7.4.1 so why are there some of us that this firmware simply won't work for?

9. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Wow that is interesting!

I don't have Time Capsule...yet. But I have a new MBP coming next week and it's next on my list. I'm glad I stumbed across this post though because I'd be asking the same questions in a few weeks if I have the same problem! Now I won't need to! :D

10. drinkbootysweat macrumors newbie

I had the same problem actually. I found out that it was because I had Sophos running which automatically attempts to scan any file that is modified, copied or created. The initial back up was much much faster after I turned off this "Auto-protect" type feature. You may have an antivirus program that behaves in a similar way, if so, disable it momentarily just to let the initial backup complete. Remember to turn it back on after the backup has completed! :)

11. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

The solution to slow initial backup between TC and TM!

Just found this in another thread. It completely changed the game for me. Have transferred more data in the last three minutes than in the last ten hours.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8474046#post8474046

Scroll down to post #6 (since I don’t know how to link direct to that item).