Time Machine/Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bcloonan, Dec 8, 2015.

1. bcloonan macrumors newbie

bcloonan

Hello All, I am somewhat new to the Mac and am enjoying the experience. Learning curve coming from the PC/M$ world was not as difficult as i thought it would be. I recently purchased a Time capsule and completed my first back up on my Mac Mini a few weeks ago. A couple of questions come to mind;
    1. Can i use the Mac while time machine is in motion?
    2. Can i back up my iTunes Library to the Time Capsule? (The TC is being used in Bridge mode as network back-up)
    3. In the PC world i know where to look to find any external drives...where do i find this in the Mac OS X file system (using Yosemite)

Thank you...cheers and beers!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Yes you can use your Mac while TM is running in the background.

TM app will use the TM hardware to backup your Mac's entire file system, unless you exclude some drives.

Finder is the file system browser. Open it and you should see all connected drives, printers.....etc.

3. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Using Carbon Copy Cloner I cloned the OS X Yosemite and files on my Mac Mini 2014 on a WD External HD.

Question, Using this same WD External HD that has OS X Yosemite, can I connect via the USB and boot-up my other Mac Mini 2012 with a Internal Hard Drive that has OS X Mountain Lion??

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... just attached the drive and hold the option key when you boot then you will see a boot manager there where you can pick the external to boot from.

5. bcloonan thread starter macrumors newbie

bcloonan

Thank you for your assistance MCAsan

6. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Muncho Gracias!