Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helio1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Hello there,

I recently got myself a Time Capsule and am really happy with it. There is just one issue, which you guys might be able to help me with.

Once my macbook returns from sleep, time machine immediately looks for the time capsule drive. It gives up looking before my mac even finds the time capsule airport connection. Shortly after it gives up, my macbook finds the airport connection. The result: it delays the next backup for the next hour. Which is not very practical. When I get home from work, I want the time machine to back up immediately once I open it, and not having to use it for another hour or manually do the backup.

Solution: If time machine just waited about 3 more seconds my macbook would have already established the airport connection and time machine would find the time capsule drive.

Any suggestions how to do that or any other ideas?

Thx!

helio1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
ok, now I know that.

But the beauty of the whole time capsule concept is that it should back up automatically, without me having to manually do anything...

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Sometimes when waking from sleep, my MBP isn't able to back up to the Time Capsule, either. However it DOESN'T always wait an hour for the next one. The backup immediately after waking seems to be an "out of cycle" backup. Sometimes I've had it kick off another one within 10-15 minutes.

One suggestion is to actually plug it into a wired network cable. That seems to be more reliable to get the backup to succeed immediately on wakeup. Otherwise, run it manually or just let it wait for the next attempt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.