Time Machine to back up external drive?????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gixxerfool, Jul 9, 2008.

1. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Here is my current setup, I have a Mini superdrive running leopard 10.5.4 and I have a USB driven 160 GB external that stores all my data, pacs, music and the such.

I am in the process of putting together another external 500GB for Tima Machine use.

Is there some way to either:

1) Backup up my 160GB in TM

or

2)Partition my 500GB so TM can back it up?

I can just move all my data from the 160GB to the 500GB if number 2 is plausible.

Thanks in advance.
    -GF

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Time Machine will only backup the startup volume on your Mac (most likely your internal hard drive), so having it back up your Media external to your new 500GB external wouldn't work.

I'd check out SuperDuper which you can setup to automatically run backups. Otherwise, you'll just have to copy it over manually.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Currently I boot off a 320GB fw drive and have 640GB TM fw drive .. Both going thru a fw hub then into Mac mini.. Works fine.... :cool:

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I'm very sure it backs up any drive connected to your Mac…right now my SDHC card is appearing in my exclude list, and it backs up my other partitions.

You don't need to partition or move your data, just plug in your new 500 Gig drive and time machine will back up both your minis internal drive and your external USB 160 GB drive fine.