Time Machine to New Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by safelder, Apr 13, 2010.

1. safelder macrumors member

I'm considering picking up one of the new MBPs that were announced today and selling my old MBP. Obviously, if I do this, I'll need to move my files over.

I run Time Machine to a firewire drive right now, and I'm sure that it will work great to copy back over my photos and documents. What I'm not so sure about is iTunes. Can I simply restore the "music" folder from the Time Machine backup to the new machine, or will I need to do the whole iTunes home sharing drill to copy over 9000 songs (which would suck)?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Time Machine backs up everything, including your iTunes songs (unless you told it not to)... if you know you can restore everything, where's the question about iTunes coming from?

Just make sure you authorize your new computer in iTunes and you'll be fine.

3. safelder thread starter macrumors member

I know that will recover the songs. I'm concerned about the library--playlists, ratings, synced ipods, and the like. I thought iTunes made it well nigh impossible to just drag and drop the entire iTunes dierctory, but thought TM might circumvent this.

4. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

in the itunes folder in the music folder on your hard drive there is a file that contains your entire library (not the actual content but the paths) aswell as playlists etc...not sure about ratings though

this file means that itunes should be nearly identical on your new comp as it was on your old comp because itunes will read that file and compile your library.