Time Machine to NTFS on xp network drive, with password, help please?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmacmac222, Feb 28, 2011.

1. macmacmac222, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

macmacmac222 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, just got my first mac this last thursday, 2.2 ghz i7 15", its so amazing! I've been missing out! But anyways, I've already gotten time machine to sync over my wifi network to my windows based PC that is sharing it's external 2TB drive which I also recently purchased. I mounted the networked drive contained on the win xp machin, then ran that special command "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1" on my mac, then successfully got time machine to sync to it with some more work using mac's diskutility program to create some bundle file, i dont even wanna explain it was difficult. it worked.

MY PROBLEM: I can't get time machine to work with a password. I set up a User account on win xp machine and ran the "net user guest password" command on my win xp machine, allowing me to give the guest account a password. I did this because I don't want everyone who connects to my wifi while they're over to be able to peruse all my files on the xp machine's shared drives. That successfully allows me to mount the drives on my mac with Go>Connect to server>winxpmachine ipaddress and it asks for me to login and for a password. I select Guest and enter password, BOOM, it works! However, when I try to set up time machine, I can select the disk over the network, and it asks for password just like before, I enter it, and then get the message, you're time machine backup disk cannot be found after I manually get it to start trying to backup. I've also tried logging in as "My Name" with "myname'spassword" which is the main account on the xp OS, as well as "MyName" and "myname'spassword" without putting a space between my first and last name, all with no success. I've searched and can't seem to find a fix or guide to help me. The only way i've found is a hassle, using Remote desktop to get to xp machine, remove password when i want to backup, then recreate a password for guest account by running the command in cmd.exe on it, then getting back into the control panel to set a password again for the guest account

Does anyone have ideas? xp machine is media center edition sp3

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine won't work with NTFS. It requires HFS+.

3. macmacmac222 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios