Time Machine to Windows File Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MiniLifeCrisis, Jul 15, 2008.

1. MiniLifeCrisis macrumors member

I recently came to the Dark Side (or came from the Dark Side; depending on your point of view) by switching from a WinXP PC to a 3Ghz iMac. (wohoo) :D

I thought about keeping my Windows box as a file server for backups (I have lots of photos and videos). I was wondering if there is a way to use TimeMachine on my iMac to backup files to my WinXP box? TimeMachine always want to look for a Mac Server (can't imagine why):rolleyes:

My alternate is to just copy my data files manually to a shared directory on my WinXP box. If this ends up being the case, is there a easy way to automate this process (e.g. software or a timed script?)

Thanks
    -Eric

2. cwilson71 macrumors newbie

The best way to use time machine is with an inexpensive external USB or firewire disk. Of course you can backup to windows shares but I don't believe that is supported by time machine. There are other programs that can do that or you could write a script.

Personally, the cost of an external disk is so cheap and they are so large now, I wouldn't even bother with the windows box. Keep it around for games or sell it.

3. MiniLifeCrisis thread starter macrumors member

For Sale, 1 slightly used Dell 1.8Ghz, 4g Ram, XP, cheap, good for umm games, yeah, that's it. LOL :D

4. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

yea, um.... you're in the wrong place to sell it. :)