time machine transfer bewteen hard drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bogoss, Nov 24, 2011.

1. bogoss macrumors newbie

hi all,
    some background first, my 5yo macbook just resigned 2 days ago, 10.6.8, everything was backed up to a hard drive using time machine, just got a new mbp and lion won't mount the hard drive anymore(I was reading everything to solve this problem but guess it can hardly be done, it was a fat32 drive lion doesn't want), so question is:

Can I transfer the back up file to another hard drive somehow and then using migration assistant to recover my data to my new mbp from that hard drive? any tech work should be done there if so? anyone has done it before?

thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

Because Time Machine doesn't backup to a FAT32 (MS-DOS File System) formatted volume, but Mac OS X is capable of reading FAT32 formatted volumes (and writing to it) just fine.

After you checked the Get Info window report back with your sightings.

3. bogoss thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey simsalad,
    thanks for the reply!
    I can't get any info of this disk because it's not on desktop or sidebar nor the disk utilities, I tried every way to make the external disk to work but no luck, then did research and says 10.7 no longer supports fat32, so I gave up on this idea and instead I was thinking if I could find a way to move my time machine data else where that lion can reach and be readable at least by Migration Assistant so I can recover my data, I am not so worried about the hard drive it's kinda old and with small volume....

4. simsaladimbamba

Where did you read, that FAT32 is no longer supported in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion? And if you used that HDD as Time Machine backup disk with Time Machine, the HDD won't be formatted with FAT32, as that is a file system, which is not working with Time Machine.
    Do you have access to any other Macs or Windows computers?

5. bogoss thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry my bad, it only says not support the Version feature of Lion, not the system.
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/19/mac-101-format-choices-for-usb-flash-drives/

So why my fat32 does not appear anywhere... anyway, I will try if I can fix my old macbook, that's where everything is originally, but if not, then everything I have is the time machine back up,
    simsalad, the worst I am going to try is to get a PC, do you happen to have the knowledge to know if a pc that's in the same wifi network and connected to the back up drive can help me recover? given wifi is one of the ways how MA works...

thanks!

6. bogoss thread starter macrumors newbie

sorted, low power problem, sigh

so yeah, got some extra power for the time machine disk, and it appeared on my desktop, i should have thought about that earlier... it did happen to me before but only once so i totally forgot that I had an extra cable for the disk, and the other seagate of mine works just fine and all of these blinded me for a while.

So whoever comes across this problem can consider this as a potential solution, since 10.6 and 10.7 are definitely different in terms of USB power consumption.

cheers!

7. simsaladimbamba

Now that you have solved it, can you check, if the HDD is using FAT32 or HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) as file system?

8. bogoss thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

this is it, but i remember when i bought the disk, i was on 10.4, it didn't mount and I formatted it to fat32 on a pc, years ago......