Time Machine Transfer Freezing, not Completing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by instaxgirl, Jun 12, 2009.

1. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Ok, so I have a 1.33GHz iBook G4 with 1.5GB of RAM and a 40GB hard drive.

Last night I reinstalled the OS, which is to say I reinstalled the Leopard upgrade disk. All went well.

Then I pulled out my time machine back up, opened Migration Assistant and started moving everything over, and that's where it all went horribly wrong.

The first time I did this it stayed at 4 minutes remaining for about an hour and a half. I gave up and hit quit, but something'd been copied across because my hard drive only had about 9GB left, but I can't see any of the stuff that's taking up all this space.

So, I whip out the Leopard disk again and start all over. I figure maybe Migration Assistant's just one of those things that needs to sit for ages. This time it seemed to freeze at 38 minutes remaining but I went to bed and left it.

9 hours later, it's still at 38 minutes remaining :( I have no idea what's going wrong, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry for such a late reply, i hope you got the issue resolved :)

just incase other people have this problem, it might be handy i guess..

what medium were you using to transfer? wireless? ethernet?? etc

i am thinking that it is possible that Migration Assistant copies across a dmg of the whole hard drive, which takes up the whole 40gb and it was corrupt - thus why only 9gb was left..

or maybe your backups were just corrupt and something when terribly wrong..

anyway, i hope you got it all sorted! you could have copied everything over yourself (theoretically), but thats always a pain in the butt