Time Machine transfer from 24" to new 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NevadaJack, Oct 27, 2009.

1. NevadaJack macrumors 6502

I ordered the iMac 27" 17 on 10/23/09. Basic package with Apple Care. Anxiously awaiting November sometime...

I have a 24" iMac and run Time Machine for backup on a external HD. I understand that I can use Migration Assistant to transfer all of the content on my 24" iMac using the TM backup. I assume that all I have to do is start up the 27", have it recognize the external drive and then use Migration Assistant option to migrate using a TM backup. Am I on track and what should I lookout for during the setup and transfer.

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You've got it down. :cool:

Enjoy your new machine once it arrives.

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Yes, what you just described should work well. I would personally only migrate your applications and user files. I never migrate "misc" files since those could include customizations, etc, that might not work right on the new hardware.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I normally only migrate my user space. I'm still a bit wary of migrating applications.

5. meagain macrumors 68030

Say I have a Time Capsule. Say I don't want to dump all the old stuff into the new machine and only want to do "Documents". How would one do just pieces like that exactly?

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If it's just your documents folder, simply drag it over to the new drive.

7. meagain macrumors 68030

Thanks - but oddly when in finder and go to my Time Capsule, I only see a folder saying "Data" and can't get into it. I guess I'd have to go into Time Machine and some how restore it to the new computer. It's weird. Guess I have to go read up on this.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, just launch TM and then restore from your most recent Documents folder.

9. meagain macrumors 68030

Thank you :) It's almost like I took stupid pills today. :eek: