Time machine tried to erase my HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dlate, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Dlate macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently had a problem with bootcamp so i tried to use timemachine to backup my Macbook Pro. However it made an attempt to erase my HD so i immediatly pulled out the cables and shutdown the program.

However my disk is now "not readable by this computer" i have attempted a rebuild with diskwarrior but with no success.

Does anyone here have an idea of how to get my disk working again without having to format it?

Regards,
    Patrick

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As usual, more information is required.

What exact Mac, what exact Mac OS X version and what external HDD do you use and how (USB or Firewire) do you connect it to your Mac?
    Also what format (file system) was the external HDD formatted in?

Can you see the external HDD in Disk Utility?

Is there more than the Time Machine stored on the external HDD?

I assume from your post, you have problems recognizing the external. How important is the data on there? Would you spend 99USD for it?

Also what exactly happened - step by step?

How did you find out, the Time Machine backup was erasing your "HD", and which "HD" (btw, it's HDD - Hard Disk Drive) was being erased?

3. Dlate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

What exact Mac, what exact Mac OS X version and what external HDD do you use and how (USB or Firewire) do you connect it to your Mac?

I have a Macbook Pro, OSX 10.6.3
    I have a Western Digital Elements 1.0 TB external HDD
    Its connected trough USB.

Also what format (file system) was the external HDD formatted in?
    It was formatted in the MSDOS - FAT file system

Can you see the external HDD in Disk Utility?
    Yes i can see it in the disk utiility, however attempts at verifying the disk and repairing it have been unsuccessfull.

Is there more than the Time Machine stored on the external HDD?
    Yes the drive was originally a backup disk for movies, pictures etc.

I assume from your post, you have problems recognizing the external. How important is the data on there? Would you spend 99USD for it?
    It might be yes, it contained alot of personal data as well

Also what exactly happened - step by step?
    1. I plugged in the harddisk
    2. Booted up time machine to backup my system ( at this point ive never used time machine )
    3. Time machine asks me to select the disk i want to use for the backup
    4. I select the Elements disk
    5. At this point it asks me something about erasing the harddrive, i pressed a wrong button and it started erasing
    6. I immediatly press CMD+Q and unplug the harddrive
    7. After plugging it back in my harddrive appears to be unreadable

How did you find out, the Time Machine backup was erasing your "HD", and which "HD" (btw, it's HDD - Hard Disk Drive) was being erased?
    Time machine showed me a progressbar that it was erasing the HDD, so i immediatly quit and unplugged the disk.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for the information.

As the external HDD used FAT32 as its file system, and you chose to use it as a Time Machine drive, Mac OS X wanted to format it with the Mac OS Extended file system (HFS+), as Time Machine does only work with that file system and not with FAT32.

Your data is not gone, it just is not accessible right now.

The partition table is corrupt, maybe you can fix it via Gparted Live CD.

If that does not work, have a look at Data Rescue 3, but I don't know if it can handle FAT32 formatted HDDs.

If you still have a Windows computer, maybe look for a similar data recovery software that can work with FAT32.

5. Dlate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks spinnerlys,

Knowing the data isnt gone is a huge relief for me. Ill look into the data recovery software, ill let you know if it worked.

Thanks again!