Time Machine Troubles

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Morl, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Morl macrumors newbie

I am a relatively new Mac user. Unfortunately my profession requires that I use Visual Basic sometimes. So I used Boot Camp to partition my hard drive and installed Windows 7. The only thing is that Time Machine is now very slow. It worked fine before I had partitioned my hard drive. I'm not sure why it's doing this. Other threads have said that it doesn't try to back up your Boot Camp partition, but it now says it has about 20gb more to backup that it didn't have yesterday. Time Machine is basically useless at this speed. Any ideas about why this may be happening?

2. dashcs macrumors regular

I know you mention bootcamp however just so were clear.You only using bootcamp and not VM Fusion or Parallels?

3. Morl thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct. I've never used either of those programs. I used Boot Camp, and to boot into Windows, I have to hold the Option key when the computer is starting.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, Time Machine will not back up your Boot Camp partition, so your issues lie elsewhere

Can you give us any more information?

You can use GrandPerspective to see exactly what is on your HDD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Morl thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a picture of what GrandPerspective showed me for Macintosh HD.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture showing that I cannot exclude Time Machine from backing up BOOTCAMP. Which makes sense since it can't back BOOTCAMP up at all.

[​IMG]

Here is a screenshot of Time Machine backing up data at 1:52pm.
    [​IMG]

Here is a screenshot of Time Machine backing up data at 2:00pm. Eight minutes later.
    [​IMG]

6. Morl thread starter macrumors newbie

A very odd update. My backup started to go really fast suddenly and finished, and it is now running like normal.