Time Machine unusual backups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattyb240, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I'm starting to have concerns over my time machine backups, I have been using it since september, and have started to notice that rather then each back up being a few mb's. They are in fact usually around 4GB an I don't know why? Is there something wrong? Or something I should be looking out for?

Thanks

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Maybe a log file is bugged and not working properly. Do a search on this forum for huge log files and one of them should point you on where to search, because I can't think of it off the top of my head. If I remember correctly it could get nearly as big, or I'm thinking backwards and a "huge" log file is about 4mb's....

3. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I deleted some of the log files. But I have been away with my laptop for four hours, now I am back and it goes to do a back up, it wrekons it will back up 18gb?! I have no idea why they are so large?

Is it worth me deleting my back ups off time machine then starting it a fresh? I am about to run disk utilities on it to check the disk.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Possibilities include:
    - Virtual Machine files
    - Large Disk Images
    - Local iDisk image (if sync enabled)
    - Aperture library
    - Final Cut Pro files

Not sure if you have any of these, but any large files or images will get backed up in their entirety every time you change them. So look for what you worked on between TM backups for a clue as to what files are getting changed.

5. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much, unfortunately I do have some of those apps which I did open but didn't do a lot in... I shall have a hunt and an investigate?

Thanks I will report back!