Time Machine: USB 2.0, FW400 or 800... what will you use?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anim8or, Oct 22, 2007.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Exactly what it says on the tin!

I think i may use FW800 simply cos its the only free port on the rear of my MacPro!

I would like to know what you all intend to use and any recommendations for drives, especially FW800 ones.

I am thinking of purchasing a LaCie drive.

2. rmh macrumors regular

Personally, I'm using USB2.0, but only because I already have two old MyBook drives, one 120GB and one 500GB. I'll be using the 120GB one solely for time machine for my two computers, and the 500GB will be for music/movies/etc.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'll be using an internal drive in the second bay on my PowerMac.

4. dborja macrumors 6502a

I plan to use a USB 2.0 port to a Maxtor 320GB drive in a CoolMax enclosure.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I think this is relevant: are people considering TM external drives that "sleep" when their iMacs sleep? My CoolMax setup does not but I have an IOmega Silver 500GB hooked up through my AEBS that I use as an archive drive. I'm debating whether I should swap the two drives but I'd rather keep this configuration since I think a TM 320GB drive is plenty for my 250GB iMac and I'd like to keep a big archive drive.

Sorry to the OP and I'm willing to withdraw this message and start a new thread if "anim8or" advises me to.

TIA,
    Dale

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Go buy a $10 USB2 hub or FW800 to FW400 adapter. FW800 is overkill for Time Machine and FW800 drives are not inexpensive.

6. rmh macrumors regular

I would just leave the 320 with the iMac. That will most likely be enough, since its bigger than your internal drive, and I'm assuming you haven't yet filled up all 250GB

7. dborja macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. I've only used about 80GB on the iMac drive.

Would you recommend me looking for a TM drive that can sleep or just let it keep running?

8. rmh macrumors regular

Well, one that could sleep is always a plus for conserving power, as well as keeping the actual HD from wearing out. So if you've got the extra cash, go for it. I got my MyBook 500GB for $129, and it turns off with the computer, so thats always an option.

But for now, you should be fine. :D

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

USB hanging off of an Airport Extreme in the laundry room. Printer and all network drives are in there. Keeps the noise and clutter out of the way.

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Triple interface ext. drive :rolleyes:

There's the proof of mid-price triple interface external drive

11. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I will be using FW800 for mine ...oh, and don't get a Lacie drive. Almost half of the ones we have bought at our work have crapped out on us or are getting ready to.

I ended up getting an OWC Mercury Elite drive.

12. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

i have no objections to this.... after all its HD related and thats why we're here... thanks for your input.

13. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Just to let you know. The Mercury Elite drives do "sleep" ...the Lacie drives do too, if you still want one of those.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ditto, once they have TM working with the AEBS. :rolleyes:

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Time Machine doesn't work with the Airport Extreme AirDrives?

My AirDrives work with anything. Why wouldn't they work with TM?

16. LoganT macrumors 68020

17. bxs macrumors 6502

Apple removed the TM AirDisk feature

Apple removed the TM support for AirDisk from their web site last week. The AirDisk was supported previously but the fine print read "subject to change". I guess Apple changed the TM specifications wrt what devices are compatible with the TM software feature.

I strongly suspect the AirDisk will be supported in .1 or .2 updates.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Uh, for the same money you can get a 750GB Seagate USB2/FW400/eSATA drive. That's an extra 250GB you'd just piss away just to have FW800 when you don't really need it. If FW800 speed isn't needed, and it isn't for backup, why pay for it when your money can go to better, more productive use, like more HD space.

19. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Can you get the Mercury Elite in the UK??????

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

21. bxs macrumors 6502

Retail vs. OEM HDs

For safe keeping your important data many IT experts will advocate purchasing Retail HDs rather than OEM HDs. Retail HDs are typically more expensive than OED HDs - and in fact if you list all the HDs many web sites sell about all of them are OEM HDs.

With Reatail HDs you get the warranty directly with the supplier such as Seagate and WD. With OEM HDs the warranty is really a hit-and-miss.

Reatail HDs come with a known firmware. OEM HDs come with an unknown Firmware. OEM HDs are left overs from a computer manufacturer which specified a certain Firmware and other features that play with their computers and specific hardware. This can lead to compatibility issues with Macs or enclosures the OEM HDs are placed into.

If you value your backed up data it's IMO best to pay the extra dollars and buy Retail HD.

22. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Just how much do you think a firewire 800 drive costs....?

The LaCie that have been looking at is £140 for 500GB........ thats not expensicve for quad interface at that storage capacity is it????

23. LoganT macrumors 68020

It is retail. :rolleyes:

Seagate FreeAgent Desktop ST303204FDA1E1-RK 320GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148234

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I also expect an AEBS firmware update within next month or so. 7.2.1 is terrible.

25. theanimala macrumors 6502

can Time Machine use a network hd? I am looking at getting a networked HD connected to my router, and setting up a partition for TM to point to. Would this work?