Time Machine - Using One Drive for Multiple Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lancer X, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Lancer X macrumors newbie

I am planning to use a 1TB network hard drive (NAS) to backup all three of our Macs. Will Time Machine from three different computers share this storage space, or do I need to partition the drive into three pieces so each computer has their own separate volume?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. alangsam macrumors newbie

you do not need a partition

i have three MBPs backing up wirelessly through an iMac with a FW800 attached drive.

you have to make sure that the MBP's autologon to that drive at logon otherwise timemachine wont see them.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

TM will make a folder on the drive with the name of each computer. So it can keep it all straight without partitioning. However each folder will grow in size over time until the disk is full. There is nothign to stop one folder from "hogging" all the space. If you partition the drive then each folder is contained within a fixed partition. So it could work either way.

5. Lancer X thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all!

Now I just need to get this Iomega Home Media Network HD working properly with Time Machine... :p

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure it creates the backup folder with the name of the computer along with the MAC address so it's unique. Should be safe.