Time Machine very slow

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by deepakvrao, Mar 30, 2012.

1. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Got a new 1TB ext HDD which writes pretty fast, but when it comes to TM back ups [it is partitioned into 700/300gb, with 300gb for TM], it is pretty much slower.

Is it that TM back ups are slower than just writing the say, 9gb to the ext drive?

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Are you connected USB or Firewire? I just went from a NAS My Book Live to a GoFlex for MAC (also 700/300 partitioned) using firewire and its much faster than wireless. Time Machine is not just copying stuff, but its verifying the backup as it goes along so it will be slower.

3. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors regular

USB, All was fine till I updated to 10.7.3.

----------

Some websites say that first back up after a major update takes a long time, so I guess I'll wait and see how the next one goes.

Already tried repairing permissions etc.

----------

Some websites say that first back up after a major update takes a long time, so I guess I'll wait and see how the next one goes.

Already tried repairing permissions etc.

----------

EDIT: Disabled spotlight for the ext drive and it seems fine now.

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well I'm on my 3rd external drive doing a full (first time) backup with TM and now its very slow. And its connected via 1GB ethernet so it should be fast. Its just the nature of the beast. Once the full is done things get better.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you running any antivirus apps?

6. Bear macrumors G3

What is going on with the other partition while the TM Backup is happening? And how much other USB I/O is happening on your system at the time?

After the initial backup, how long it takes depends on how much data has changed. Also, if the TM partition is very close to full, it has to do more cleanup work (deleting old backups) to be able to perform the backup.

I had my TM drive on USB for a short time except for the initial backup, I never noticed it being slow. I have a 2 TB disk to backup a half full 1 TB disk.

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Nope. It took about 1.5 hrs for the full backup (~46GB).