Time Machine via Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Falcoholic, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Falcoholic macrumors newbie

Wanting to perform my initial backup with my hard drive connected directly to the Macbook Pro to shorten the time it takes to backup all 400GB. As soon as I do that and then connect the drive to my Airport Extreme, Time Machine suddenly forgets that I've used the same drive as a backup, asks me if I want to replace my current Time Machine drive or use both as if I've connected a completely different drive.

What's the solution to getting it to recognize that its the same hard drive that was connected directly to the Macbook Pro? Do I just have to perform the initial backup via the Airport Extreme and deal with it?

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

What happens if you select "use both" and do a backup? I think it will continue on from the initial backup but I have never tried your situation with Time Machine.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This won't work the way you are doing it. A networked TM backup gets placed inside a sparse bundle image and a locally TM backup does not, hence the conflict you are seeing.

There is a workaround described at this link where you can start the backup over the network to create the sparse bundle, then stop the backup and finish it over USB.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080324235423683

Also, do you have the latest, tower shaped Extreme? Networked TM backup is not supported on the older, pancake shaped models is why I ask.

4. gpspad macrumors 6502

Thanks, I didn't know this and was trying to get this to work once.