Time machine via the network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robanga, Feb 23, 2008.

1. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Decided it was time to back up my little over a month old MBP using time machine. There is a 1TB FW800 drive attached to the iMac, so I used the network to mount that drive for the MBP and tell Time Machine to back up there. There is only about 21GB to backup.

Its taking a long time :cool: Keeping in mind that the initial backup is the longest and all that indexing has to be done etc, it still feels too long. It's been about 3 hours and I'm only into it a little over 7GB. This is on a 802.11G router.

Any thoughts or like experiences?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Why would you ever backup over an 802.11g network? The max speed you will theoretically see over that network is 8MB/sec, which would mean that it would take the better part of an hour.... realistically, you're going to see 1-2MB/sec, meaning it will take 4-8 hours to backup, if it completes at all.

There's a reason Apple tells you to use USB or Firewire for Time Machine, and you should at least use Ethernet if you insist on using a network drive.

3. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

Good point, I had not thought about the bandwidth of the 802.11 very much. Backing up a mobile computer is kind of a pain, I guess i could plug in and unplug the drive to this one, that just seems silly though.

Guess I'll by another more portable but high capacity drive for the notebook.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

I've been using 802.11g for my time machine backups and its fine. Other than the first backup (which took all night) and one other backup (after i installed adobe cs3) which took a few hours, every backup has completed in just a few minutes.

As long as you set time machine to exclude things like your entourage mailbox and your parallels/vmware virtual machine files, you probably aren't changing enough data between each backup to cause 802.11 backups to take very long.

5. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

Also a pretty good point, perhaps I was being a bit too impatient. I am still undecided on my backup strategy except I do know that I'd better get it too it for the MBP.