Time Machine vs Alternate Backup Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Toucansma, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Toucansma macrumors member

I am going the route of installing a Mac Mini Server to act as a file server, iTunes server, and backup for my home. I have two other Macs that I want to backup their contents to the Mini. I have previously used time machine on my time capsule (which I will get rid of), but I have had the occasional problem (rebuild of bundle requested). My question to everyone, is from experience if I should stick with Mac Mini and Yosemite Server utilizing the Time Machine function or instead use some other backup software? I backup my critical documents in the cloud so that there is redundancy. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Take a look at Chronosync if you're just backing up files, I like it.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Take a look at Clear Copy Cloner. Excellent program with lots of features.

https://bombich.com

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Instead of looking for a substitute for time machine, consider using multiple methods. Add CCC as another backup. Also consider how you will backup the files stored on the server. I like Crashplan for an offsite solution and it can be used to backup files between your machines.

5. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

I combine monthly backups of only the system to a 64Gb USB stick
    using SuperDuper! (produces a bootable stick) with continuous backups
    by TimeMachine to a Time Capsule with a second disk (alternating).
    I spread my own data over several machines. That must be enough.
    ;JOOP!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use TM and carbon copy cloner. Time Machine backs up my entire system, but is more for file recovery, where as Carbon Copy Cloner is more of a system restore if the need arises.

7. Toucansma thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and advice! Greatly appreciated. I am going to check out some these programs. I have used CCloner for hard drives but not as a backup solution. I will let you know which way I end up going.

8. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I don't understand what your needs exactly are, but I have a very good experience with Carbon Copy Clone. You can create a bootable drive, and it is also fast.

I recently learned for a service that would backup your whole HDD without limits for $5 a month. If your system goes down you can download your backup or order an HDD with your backups on it mailed to you. Its called BlackBlaze but I never tried them

SuperDuper still works? their website looks awfully outdated and the developer seems uninspired

9. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Still regularly updated, twice since Yosemite came out.
    Developer is no slouch on this:

10. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

I'd rather have a good application from an "outdated website"
    than rubbish from a "state-of-the-art" website.

And I know several people who appreciate it, so .........

;JOOP!

11. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Take a look at ProSoft Engineering's Data Backup 3. Does a variety of different backups, scheduling, etc etc. I got it as part of a StackSocial bundle or something, and have begun using it a lot for photos.

There are several different ways to backup, but without more info hard to give you advice on that. But Data Backup does a couple of types of incremental backups, versioning, and clones, so covers many needs. Which is why I like it more and more, since I don't have to mess with different programs for different backups.