Time Machine vs Clone Copy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, Sep 19, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, Crucial has determined my SSD is defective due to frequent incorrect space allocations. I did several disconnects/connects as they instructed. They told me I could send them the SSD first then they'll send me a new; or I could buy a new one then they'll refund when they receive my old one. I wasn't comfortable with either option. I bought this from Amazon back in Feb 2012 for about ~350 and thought about going to them. Talked to customer service and they allowed a one-time exception to return and exchange for Samsung 830 256SSD for $200.

So, my question is when I receive this new SSD on Friday, should I transfer a clone that I had saved to an external backup that's about <7days old. Or should I restore, if even possible from a time machine machine? Last, clone transfer the current drive? Reason I ask is because last night I got a virus/trojan/malware in my Win7 VM. I fixed it by deleting the VM and then restoring from a different time point. I'm not sure if cloning this current drive that was restored would be a good idea. Also, from the backup clone, I've read that cloning a clone isn't a good idea either. Any advice? I may have to, but don't really want to (I'm lazy), re-install everything.

2. nitromac macrumors 6502

Time machine is a lot easier, since you can boot into recovery mode, plug in your backup drive, and restore any point.