Time Machine vs Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DougY, Apr 28, 2012.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between Time Machine and Time Capsule? I currently use Time Machine on my iMac. Thanks.

2. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

To my knowledge, Time Machine is Apple's software that allows you to perform backups onto any external hard drive.

Time Capsule is Apple's piece of hardware that is basically a wireless hard drive that backs up all of your data.

There's some more information here http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Time Machine is an Apple OS X application designed to backup a Mac to a HDD on a regular basis.

Time Capsule is an AirPort Extreme with an internal HDD that is designed to be used for Time Machine backups.

I have a Time Capsule, which replaced my Airport Extreme and a WD external HDD connected via FW.

Another benefit of Time Capsule is it allows you to backup multiple Macs via WiFi (though this is not unique to TC) - I backup my iMac 27" and Macbook Air to my TC.

4. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to you both!

Thanks to you both for the good info. Ive been using Time Machine since I bought my first iMac several years ago. Last week I had a need to restore my computer to an earlier date, and all I got was error messages. Who knows...some kinda glitch. Anyway, I formatted the WD External that Im using for the Time Machine, and resumed backing up after the format was complete. However, I see frequent postings here about Time Capsule as well, and was curious about the differences between them. Again, thanks for the help.