Time Machine w/Extreme problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by creator2456, Mar 22, 2008.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Setup:
    2.16 CD MBP
    AEBS 10/100
    250gb partition on 500gb drive connected to USB hub connected to AEBS

So I decided that I would try and setup Time Machine through my Extreme today. It has been a fun day. I first connected my HD to the USB hub from my AEBS and had fun getting that all straightened out, but I got it working pretty quickly. I was able to play my iTunes music off of the drive on my MBP and two windows machines on the same network, so I know my networks are straightened out. I then setup Time Machine and let it start. After realizing that the initial backup was painfully slow, I stopped everything and started from a clean slate (formated partition, removed drive from TM backup, and even restarted).

I then tried again, but this time I selected the HD through TM Preferences, turned off backups, disconnected the drive from AEBS and plugged directly to my MBP. I let TM run and complete that backup and everything went fine. I hooked the HD back through the AEBS and did another TM backup to make sure things were still working. They were.

Thats where things stopped working. On the next scheduled backup, TM got stuck Preparing for the backup.

What EXACTLY do I need to do to get this thing set up and working properly?

I want to be able to do my initial backup with the drive connected directly to my MBP so it doesn't take forever. After that initial backup, I don't mind it being slow.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

3. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Are you sure that it was stuck at preparing for backup? My experience with this has been that it takes a very long time for it to move from "preparing" to actually backing up, even when there's hardly anything that's changed.

4. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Yes, I have all the updates from the past week.

5. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

I would say that over an hour is stuck. Especially on the first manual test run over wireless it was only preparing for a few minutes. Between the test and first schedule the only change that I made was to start watching a dvd in the other room so it's not like a ton of files changed, if any.

6. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Darn. I was hoping that it might be a simple explanation.

7. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Yup, me too. Still trying to think it through before I go wasting the time trying stuff out again.

8. chiefillini macrumors regular

I have the same problem except I was trying to do my first major backup over firewire. When hooked up to the airport than, it acted like the backup over firewire did not even exist. Hopefully someone has an answer to this.

9. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

My airport extreme arrives tomorrow. Bought it because of all the news about time machine working now. I have a macbook and a mac mini. Hope i'll be able to get it working although i'm debating on waiting until apple makes some kind of statement about it. Strange that they haven't said anything yet.

10. Tom J macrumors regular

If you are referring to Apple making a statement about using Time Machine via AEBS and AirDisk, I don't think we'll ever see it. This will remain an unsupported feature. TimeCapsule is their supported device.

11. estee065 macrumors member

in addition to reformatting the drive and all the other stuff, trash the TM preferences. I did that and it has been working fine since.