Time Machine -- Wants to fill up my external drive?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by altjx, Jun 15, 2014.

1. altjx macrumors member

I use a 3TB drive within my home as a file server. There are several things I keep on this device, and I figured since I don't really use up much space (only used up about 500 GB), I'd like to use this device with Time Machine.

The only thing that I'm finding to be annoying is that Time Machine has a message at the bottom of it saying, "The oldest backups are deleted when your disk becomes full."

Is there a way to modify Time Machine? I was looking for a free backup solution that created automated and encrypted backups of certain files and folders within my MacBook; however, I do not want it to fill up the entire disk before overwriting things. Considering my backup is only going to be 312GB, I don't want to fill up another 2+ TB of this.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'd love automated encrypted backups of certain files and folders, and perhaps only keeping the last two backups or something.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Partition the disk - set aside 500GB (or whatever) as a TM disk, the rest for other data.

3. altjx thread starter macrumors member

I have a lacie NAS device and don't have that capability. :\