Time Machine Weirdness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevo0822, Mar 13, 2008.

1. kevo0822 macrumors regular

So I've been using Time Machine since Leopard was released and I've always basically had a full copy of my internal HD on my Time Machine drive. After my first backup, the space taken up on my Time Machine drive was equal to the space taken up on my internal HD.

A week ago, my Time Machine drive became corrupted... I don't know how, but Disk Utility told me I had to reformat it. Wasn't too big of a deal... so I just reformatted the drive and let Time Machine do another initial backup. Weird thing is, I currently have about 50 gigs used on my internal drive (excluding the files I excluded from Time Machine backups, like my VMware virtual machine), but Time Machine only used about 35 gigs or so on my TM drive...

I thought that maybe the Time Machine backup failed in the middle or something, so I reformatted the drive again and did another initial backup. Same thing happened. Did Apple change something regarding the initial Time Machine backup with 10.5.2? I don't understand what's different now than before....

2. EngBrian macrumors regular

Do you have any folders or files excluded from the backup process? By default there shouldn't be but might have happened since you first installed leopard somehow.

3. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have some files excluded... but they've been excluded since I got Leopard.

4. EngBrian macrumors regular

Sorry i must have missed that part in your original post about the 50 gigs already leaving out the files you have excluded. In that case I don't even have an idea of what could be going on. The only problems i have had with time machine is suddenly not recognizing my drive as a backup location which just involved reinitializing time machine.

good luck.