Time Machine: what huge file is being backed up repeatedly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fearlessfool, Jun 15, 2014.

1. fearlessfool macrumors newbie

I noticed that several times each night, when my machine is quiescent, time machine is backing up a 6 GB+ file.

Short of running lsof while a backup is in process, os there a sensible way to discover what file or files causing this? (Ps: I don't use entourage, so I know that's not the problem.)

2. dazed macrumors 6502a

Do you run any virtual machines? Ie inside vmware fusion.

3. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

virtual machines are a usual suspect here. I personally do my backups by hand as needed and leave them exlcuded.

If this is not the case you may need to find out if another app for whatever reason has very large datafiles that if touched are a a 6gb backup.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It could also be a database file. Such as from Outlook or some other e-mail database.

5. fearlessfool thread starter macrumors newbie

No outlook, no vm. Maybe a db file (eg postgres or MySQL), but how would you go about sniffing out the culprit?

6. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

You search for it.

Attached Files:

7. mike08b macrumors newbie

If you do not have a VM, it is probably that it is a database file. Do you use other backup programs or an online sync program (CCC, Dropbox, Carbonite, etc.)? Programs like these use databases to maintain a file list and the database can become fairly large at certain times, usually while the program is in process. If you use a program like this, search for its DB file and try excluding it from the Time Machine backup and see if that makes a difference.